Open car transport is the most common and most affordable way to ship a vehicle. If you’re moving to a new location or bought a car online, open shipping is likely a great option for bringing your vehicle to its new address.
We’ll tell you what it means to ship your vehicle with open car transport, how much you can expect to pay for car shipping service, and why Sherpa Auto Transport is the ideal partner for navigating the process.
Overview of Open Car Transport
Open car transport ships your vehicle (and usually several others) on a trailer that is open to the elements. It’s the most cost-effective way to transport your car, but it does leave your vehicle vulnerable to bad weather and road debris.
After making arrangements with a car shipping company, your transport truck driver will set up a time to pick your vehicle up. Before loading your car onto the trailer, the driver will help you inspect the vehicle to take note of any existing dings or scratches before your car begins its journey. When your vehicle has reached its destination, you’ll inspect it once again and sign a bill of lading.
You have two options when it comes to pickup and drop-off of your vehicle:
- Door-to-door shipping: This shipping method involves the carrier picking your car up and dropping it off as close to your home as possible. For people who are moving long distances or relocating for the winter, it’s the most convenient auto transport option.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping: For those with more flexibility, this type of vehicle shipping is a viable option. You’ll drop your vehicle off at a secure location and pick it up from a terminal close to your destination. If you have a way to get to and from each terminal, this could save you money.
When you choose Sherpa Auto Transport, you’ll be using door-to-door shipping, which is the most convenient option for our customers.
Open Car Transport vs. Enclosed Car Transport
Open car transport is the most common method of auto shipping, but it isn’t the only one. Customers who need to move luxury or classic vehicles or race cars often choose the more expensive enclosed auto transport option. Covered car haulers protect against road hazards and adverse weather. The extra security provided by enclosed trailers creates more peace of mind for owners of high-end vehicles.
There are a few key things to consider when it comes to open vs. enclosed car shipping. Keep the advantages and disadvantages below in mind as you prepare for your big move.
Typical Open Car Transport Costs
The cost of open car transport varies and is determined by a wide range of factors, including the ones below:
- Route distance
- Type of car carrier
- Size and weight of vehicle
- Market conditions
- Time of year
With that in mind, Sherpa offers the following vehicle shipping price ranges based on open-air car transport.
Popular Auto Transport Routes
Sherpa also provides these cost ranges of popular routes for shipping vehicles. Even if you’re not transporting your car the same routes, these ranges are helpful for understanding what you might pay for a similar shipment. The same factors from above will influence prices.
Enclosed auto transport and expedited car shipping services are more expensive than the rates shown above. The best way to get a firm idea of how much you’ll pay for your auto transport is to get car shipping quotes online.
What You Should Look for in a Car Shipping Company
Finding the right auto transport service can be stressful. You can give yourself peace of mind if you look for the following attributes before choosing a shipping provider:
- Good reviews: Look into online customer reviews and the company’s Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating. If a car shipping company has high marks across the board, you make your vehicle transport decision with confidence.
- Experience: It’s best to look for a car shipping company with experience when you’re considering transport service, even if it’s for a short distance. Knowing your vehicle is in good hands can alleviate a lot of stress.
- High-quality insurance: Sherpa only works with carriers that hold a minimum of $1 million in liability coverage and $100,000 in cargo insurance. This goes beyond industry requirements and gives our customers additional peace of mind.
Why You Should Choose Sherpa Auto Transport
Sherpa Auto Transport is a great choice for a hassle-free car shipping experience. We’ve built a trusted network of carriers through our in-depth vetting process. We work with you to find the best car transport company for your needs, and then give you an all-inclusive, locked-in quote.
Our Clean Car Guarantee is especially useful if you choose open car transport – we’ll reimburse up to $20 for a car wash after your vehicle is delivered. Add in top-notch customer service and it’s easy to see why Sherpa is your best ally in the auto shipping industry.