How to Ship a Car to Hawaii (2024 Guide)
Shipping a car between Hawaii and the mainland U.S. doesn’t have to be stressful. We can help transport your vehicle between the continental United States and Hawaii (Kauai, O’ahu, Maui, Lanai, Molokai, or the Big Island of Hawaii) through port-to-port or door-to-port shipping depending on your location and needs.
- Here at Sherpa, our Hawaii shipping experts simplify the auto transport experience.
- To ship a car to Hawaii, you can expect to pay $1,700 – $2,400. Shipping eastbound (away from Hawaii) is less expensive – generally $1,000 – $1,900.
- For those looking to ship a car between California and Hawaii, allow for 8 days for your vehicle to travel from the San Diego port to Honolulu. Allow for shipments between Hawaii and New York to take about three weeks.
- You will need to fully empty your vehicle of all personal items and household goods prior to ocean transport.
In This Review:
How to Ship a Car to Hawaii
At Sherpa, we provide an all-in-one booking experience for a quick and stress-free setup for those shipping a car to Hawaii. We facilitate both the inland and ocean components of the voyage for car shipping between the lower 48 states and Hawaii. Customers already in San Diego or Los Angeles have the option to drop-off their vehicle directly at an off-dock for a lower cost, skipping the need for inland transportation.
For customers needing a shipment from Hawaii to the mainland, we offer both port-to-port and port-to-door vehicle shipping options. You will first drop-off your vehicle at the designated port in Hawaii. We will then facilitate both the ocean transport and inland shipment to arrive at your designated delivery address. For customers in San Diego, you have the option of picking up your vehicle directly at the port for cost savings.
How Much Does Hawaii Auto Transport Cost?
San Diego or Los Angeles to Honolulu is the most cost-effective way to ship your vehicle to Hawaii and will cost about $1,700. If you are looking to ship your vehicle to another island, the pricing will be higher. It is less expensive to ship eastbound (away from Hawaii), for a price of around $1,000 for Honolulu to San Diego.
Expect to pay more for oversized, inoperable, and electric vehicles.
How Long Does it Take to Ship a Car to Hawaii?
The 2,500 mile shipment between Honolulu and the West Coast takes about 8 days once the vessel sets sail. Allow for extra time if shipping to another island besides Oahu. All-in-all, you should plan for about three weeks if shipping your vehicle between Hawaii and New York City. We recommend booking your Hawaii vehicle shipment as early as possible since there are limited spaces on each voyage.
Based on your specific pickup and delivery locations, Sherpa’s Hawaii shipment experts can provide your expected transit time. During transit, we provide proactive updates on the location of your vehicle.
Ways to Ship a Car to Hawaii
We recommend using a trusted car shipping company, like us at Sherpa, to facilitate your vehicle shipment to Hawaii.
- Door-to-port: Customers looking to ship their vehicle from the mainland to Hawaii will likely use door-to-port transport. Sherpa will coordinate the pickup of your vehicle from the specified address within the U.S. and you will meet your car at its final location at the Hawaii port.
- Port-to-door: Customers shipping their car from Hawaii to the mainland will drop-off their vehicle at one of the designated ports in Hawaii. From there, Sherpa will facilitate the shipment of your vehicle to your final destination within the U.S.
- Port-to-port: Skipping the inland auto transport via a port-to-port shipment can be a great option for those looking to save on their move. Customers shipping from California to Hawaii can save time and money by dropping off their vehicle directly at the Los Angeles or San Diego port. Similarly, if shipping a car from Hawaii to California, Sherpa can specify the San Diego port as the final destination.
Military Car Shipping to Hawaii
At Sherpa, we are proud to assist our military community by providing top-notch car shipping between Hawaii and the 48 contiguous states. We understand that the relocation orders can come fairly suddenly, creating a bit of a hassle. On top of finding a new home, a military family has to transport their POVs to a new address. Relocation to Hawaii requires an ocean shipment since driving is not an option. With all of the steps required for a move, we’re proud to offer a shipping discount on military auto transports.
How to Ship a Car to Hawaii FAQs
Can I put stuff in my car for my Hawaii shipment?
Your vehicle must be completely emptied of household belongings and personal items for a Hawaii shipment.
How much is it to ship a car to Hawaii?
Shipping from Los Angeles or San Diego to Honolulu will cost about $1,700.
How much does it cost to ship a car from Hawaii to California?
Westbound shipments (from Hawaii) are less expensive. Expect to pay about $1,000 when shipping your vehicle from Hawaii to California.