Ship a Car from California to Hawaii
Looking to ship your car from California to Hawaii? Whether you’re retiring, relocating due to military PCS orders, or just wanting a change of pace, Sherpa’s experts are here so that you can enjoy the Aloha State in no time!
- Expert Car Shipping: Sherpa Auto Transport specializes in seamless and affordable car shipping, even over oceans, ensuring your vehicle arrives safely in Hawaii.
- Localized Expertise: Learn about the key ports for car shipping between California and Hawaii, including insights into the various islands and military bases.
- Transparent Pricing: Discover the factors influencing car shipping costs from California to Hawaii and get insights into the duration of the shipping process.
In This Article:
How Does Car Shipping From California to Hawaii Work?
Shipping a car from California to Hawaii involves a well-coordinated process to ensure a smooth transition over the Pacific. Sherpa Auto Transport simplifies the journey for you:
- California Port Selection: While the San Diego port is used for all voyages, we work with off-dock locations in San Diego and Los Angeles. For those close to the San Diego or Los Angeles locations, dropping your car off directly at the off-dock will be the most cost-effective solution. Sherpa can also assist with inland transportation for those coming from Northern California.
- Secure Loading: Once at the port, your vehicle is carefully loaded onto the vessel, ensuring it is protected for the ocean journey.
- Ocean Transport: Our reliable carriers handle the ocean transport, ensuring the safe arrival of your car to the beautiful islands of Hawaii.
- Hawaii Port Arrival: Upon reaching the Hawaiian port, your vehicle is offloaded and made available for pickup. We service Kauai, O’ahu, Maui, Lanai, Molokai, and the Big Island of Hawaii.
Car Shipping Costs from California to Hawaii
Shipping directly from a Californian port to Honolulu is the most cost-effective way to transport your vehicle to Hawaii and will run you about $1,700. If you are looking to ship your vehicle to another Hawaiian island, the pricing will be higher. It is less expensive to ship eastbound (away from Hawaii), for a price of around $1,000 for Honolulu to San Diego.
What Factors Affect Hawaii Car Shipping Costs?
- Port-to-port vs Door-to-Port: dropping off your vehicle directly at the San Diego or Los Angeles off-dock is the most cost-effective way to ship your vehicle to Hawaii. If instead you would like your vehicle picked up within California, that will require door-to-port transport for an added fee. On the Hawaiian side, all vehicles are to be dropped off or picked up at the specified off-dock location for your transport.
- Vehicle Type: oversized, inoperable, and electric vehicles will come at an additional cost.
- Hawaiian Port: shipping to Honolulu is the most cost-effective way to ship your vehicle to Hawaii. Other ports within Hawaii – Kahului, Hilo, Molokai, Kanai, or Kauai – will include a transshipment fee.
How Long Does it Take to Ship A Car From California to Hawaii?
Shipping your vehicle between California and Hawaii will take about 8 days once the vessel sets sail. Allow for extra time if shipping to Kauai, Maui, Lanai, Molokai, or the Big Island. We recommend booking your shipment to Hawaii as early as possible since there are limited spaces on each voyage.
Based on your port pickup and drop-off locations, Sherpa’s Hawaii shipment experts can provide your expected transit time. While your vehicle is enroute, we provide proactive updates on the location of your vehicle.
Military Car Shipping From California to Hawaii
Sherpa is proud to serve our military families through their relocations. We understand that receiving your relocation orders and moving your household can be a stressful time. Sherpa’s team is here to make relocating your POV the smoothest aspect of your move. Our car shipping services can get your vehicle to the Hawaiian port closest to your base, whether that’s at Schofield, Pearl Harbor, or anywhere in between.
What is Roll-on/Off Car Shipping?
Roll-on/Roll-off (RoRo) shipping involves vehicles being driven onto and off the carrier. This method is commonly used for car shipping from California to Hawaii, providing a cost-effective solution. In addition, RoRo shipping is typically quicker since the vehicles can be loaded onto the vessel efficiently.
Shipping from California to Hawaii FAQs
What is the best way to ship a car from California to Hawaii?
Using an auto transport company with an expertise in Hawaii transport, such as Sherpa, is the best way to ship your vehicle.
What is the cheapest way to ship your car from California to Hawaii?
Shipping from Los Angeles or San Diego to Honolulu will cost about $1,700 and is the most budget-friendly way to ship to Hawaii.
Which ports can I ship my car to in Hawaii?
We service Kauai, O’ahu, Maui, Lanai, Molokai, and the Big Island of Hawaii.
Can I pack items in my vehicle when shipping from California to Hawaii?
For ocean transport, your vehicle must be completely emptied of personal items and household goods.